Saturday, March 17, 2007

Camp Wainui and Ferrymead


Well, to say the least, the last few weeks have been quite eventful. I continue to find my place at school, learning new things about teaching and myself. I feel closer and closer witht he staff everyday and am truly oving all of the people I work with. I am so lucky to have made such close friends on staff!


The kids are great too, and continue to see how far they can push me on a daily basis. haha, they are so cute but succeed in sucking the energy out of me each and every day :)


Last week, I was lucky enough to go to Ferrymead with my class as part of our Settlers topic. Ferrymead is an education-based historical center in Christchurch where we learned a lot about the settlers of Canterbury and how the people of the olden days used to live. We got to see a classroom of 100 years ago, a movie theatre and picture, chores of the old days,a nd even an old bakery. It was so much fun!


Then just this last week I was lucky enough to have the opporunity to go to camp Wainui with the senior school because they needed some extra help. That too, was so much fun and I got to do some really cool stuff which included coaststeering and jumping off a 5 meter cliff as well as abseiling and free-falling with a rope out of a 14 meter high tree!!


But despite all of the fun and good times that I had (and believe me, there were many) it made me realize how much more I enjoy teaching the older kids. I found them much easier to joke around with, they could actually relate to me and ask me intelligent questions and I could have a decent conversation with them. Although I do love little kids, I think as a graduated teacher, when I am, that I will go for upper elmentary and maybe even junior high. Funny though, I never thought I'd say that!


1 comment:

blog-ng said...

And here I am...always in senior level teaching mode. I have not taught students younger than Grade 6. I tell myself that I am convinced that anything younger would not work for me. Yet...I haven't tried. Perhaps I should to make a better judgement? Imagine me teaching Grade 2! I think it is fantastic that you are realizing this about the different levels of teaching. You would be an effective junior high teacher - I can defintely see it!

C.