
This past Friday was the most fun I have ever had in a placement. Friday was cultural day and believe me, this school went all out. First, students were to come dressed up in something that reflected their cultural background. It was amazing! Kids went far beyond what I ever expected and there were Traditional Korean costumes, Kimonos, Chinese style dresses, NZ rugby jerseys, and even a kid from Whales! Of course, I was dressed in jeans and a Calgary Flames shirt.
First thing in the morning, we had the school wide assembly and man, were there some amazing performances! I saw the Haka, a soman dance and song, professional Argentinian dancers, a "Hello" song performed by the junior, middle, and senior school where each little group of kids was dressed up from the country that their greeting came from. It was such an amazing show to watch.
But of course, the highlight of the assembly for me was that I got to perform a country line dance for the school to represent Alberta. I was lucky enough to get some cowboy hats and bandanas in and the students exchanged their school uniforms for a pair of jeans and a button-up shirt. And we all had mini Canadian flag stuck in our back pockets. I had 9 students and we danced our hearts out to Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Cadillac Ranch." It was so much fun but took lots of time to get those little boys to all have the same timing. But it was so worth it and we we all had a ball!
Then in the afternoon, we had a food tasting time and we were able to go and sample food from all over the world! There was Samoa, the Cook Islands, Israel, Mexico, India, Phillipines, Korea, France, Germany, Argentina, NZ, Australia, Canada/US, Japan, and even Scotland. I pigged out on cookies, breads, rice, sausages, you name it, we had it!! It was so amazing and such a great experience for the kids.
What a great way to bring a school together! It was absolutely amazing and I am so lucky to have been ablt to share in it!

No comments:
Post a Comment