Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Kiwi way of Doing Things


Today was a great day! I learned so many ideas about how to set up a classroom: name games, reinforcing school rules, constantly reinforcing responsibility, trust, honesty, kindness, and teamwork through positive reinforcement. I learned how to create an environment where kids are encouraged to do "silly thinking," a place where they can feel safe thinking outside of the box, and not constantly forced to say what everyone thinks they should. I learned how to make all kids feel special with the Star of the Week, and how to reinforce that we are all different, yet all the same.

I have already started to notice some differences between countries. First, students seem much better behaved here. They are quieter and walk to assembly with hands behind their backs. They are much more disciplined!

Assembly was another thing I was really impressed with because they did not badger the kids with school rules and guidelines, but instead, sang a whole lot of songs! It was great! But I did learn the main school rules: Be Safe, Be Fair, Be Kind, Be Cooperative, Be team Player with Attitude.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Shannon,

Seems like the school you're teaching at has some sound values and practices. Good to hear you're enjoying it. Look forward to seeing more.

Brad