Well, just like my other three fellow teacher friends, today was my first day of school. I feel in love with absolutely every single one of those kids, with their cute little accents and adorable uniforms. Thinking of them right now brings a smile to my face. I can honestly say that I cannot wait to get to know every single one of those kids.
It is funny, being away from teaching for awhile. You almost forget how much you love being surrounded by kids; their honesty, humor, smiles, laughter, questions, talking, whispering, how they create the most amazing things. Once you've been away from teaching, you get caught up in class and homework and your own assignments. You forget how amazing it is to teach little minds new things, to have some effect in shaping who they are, to make them think in other ways than they are used to. I forgot how much I love learning new things about teaching, how I can make a classroom my own and different ways that I can try and connect with a student. I forgot about the excitement in their eyes on the first day of school, forgot about the embarassed look they get on their faces when their parents try to kiss them goodbye. I forgot what it means to get up early every morning and know that you are going somewhere where you are responsible for the well-being, safety, attitudes, and learning of 29 other little people.
But now, I remember the sound of the bell. I remember the sounds of backpacks rustling, of kids asking a thousand different questions before you've given any instructions, of the silence they make while you read them a story. I remember how good it feels to read to children and to see their minds working to create a whole world full of new ideas. I remember that I love school spirit, team work, and comraderie. I remember curiosity, as they all sat and stared at me today and wondered who I was. I remember being shy and I remember being confident. I remember how to be a teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Shannon,
A very insightful entry. Seems like you have a real passion for teaching.
Brad
Post a Comment