Wednesday, May 16, 2007

French Gifted and Talented Club


Well, seeing as how I have been working with a wonderful group of 12 kids over the last few months, teaching them French, I thought I would write a little bit about them. Like I said, I have been working with 12 year 6 students, hand-picked just for me :), and we have been learning an array of French "stuff."

We have learned everything from greetings to numbers and colors, to the "head, shoulders, knees and toes" song. Last week, however, was our most exciting week as were celebrating the French festival of Mardi Gras. In celebration of this, we made Mardi Gras masks and dedicated a whole block to making and tasting our own delicious crepes. It was a lot of fun and the students loved it! It was a great way to top off our time togther.


Although making crepes was a lot of fun, I found out what it is like to manage students in the kitchen. And I only had 12! Imagine having 30. I found that it was hard to ensure every person had a job, hard to keep up with the cleaning so that I did not have to do it all myself at the end, and it was difficult to make sure things were being done "right." I think, in the end, I should have let them so more of the flipping..... but what I can do in 10 seconds, takes them over a minute! In the end, we just did not have enough time and cooking supplies and utensils were few and far between at school, making it harder with the bigger groups (I was not about to lug cooking supplies to school on the bus!) Overall though, it was a huge success and the kids really did love it. Next time I do cooking with students, I will have extra activities/jobs planned!!

No comments: